Find Your Flow Friday: Episode 1
of liquid, gas, or electricity : to move in a steady and continuous way: to move in a continuous and smooth way: to move, come, or go continuously in one direction.
Or, for all you hoopers out there, that feeling of euphoria that occurs when the world fades away and it’s just your body, the hoop, and the music. Hula hooping is not just a hobby or a good ab workout… it is a form of therapy, an art, a way of life. Ask any hooper, and he or she will tell you that the most difficult aspect of hooping is finding this state of flow. Without flow, fancy tricks and tosses mean nothing. As someone who has only been hooping consistently for approximately 9 months, I am constantly striving to find, and live in, my own state of flow. Each hooper is unique in their style, and for some, it takes long, frustrating months, or even years, to settle into a good flow. That is okay! There is no timeline for hoop dancing. Sometimes, all it takes to master that trick you’ve been working towards for months, is a good long hoop sesh to great music to settle into your flow. Here is a list of some of my favorite songs that help me to ease into my flow. Share your favorite hooping songs in the comments. Happy hooping, everybody!
1. Netzwerk (Falls Like Rain) (Camo & Krooked Remix)- Klangkarussel
The drips and drops in this song are the happiest rainy sounds I’ve heard, and a lot of fun to hoop to!
2. Golden Gate- STS9
Sound Tribe Sector 9 is one of my favorite bands of all time, and this is my favorite song from them.
3. iPlayYouListen- Odesza
These Seattle locals have such a unique and soothing sound that is perfect for sunset hooping.
4. Digital Liberation is Mad Freedom- Grizmatik
GRiZ + Gramatik= A collaboration made in music heaven.
This moombah tune with heavy bass and sexy vocals will make you want to shake dem hips all night long.
6. Welcome to Jamrock- Damian Marley (GRiZ remix)
I love GRiZ’s take on this classic reggae tune.
7. We Swarm (Beats Antique Remix)- The Glitch Mob
Interesting collab with strong Beats Antique influences. I love hooping to anything with a prominent horn lead.
8. East Coast- Gramatik
I first started hooping last summer, which was around the same time I first started listening to Gramatik. The two really go hand in hand quite nicely.
9. Swing Break (Russ Liquid Remix)- Opiou
Opiou just gets us. Now this is a song that I feel was made for hoopers. I love that swinging beat.
Latest posts by Hannah King (see all)
- You Will Love these D.V.S* Remixes - November 10, 2014
- Cyril Hahn drops Voices EP - October 15, 2014
- Phaeleh brings the ambient sounds with ‘A World Without’ Tour - October 7, 2014
- 3 Reasons TOKiMONSTA Dominated Decibel Festival - October 6, 2014
- Win Tickets to Rhythm & Bass Showcase @ Decibel Festival! - September 17, 2014