MUST DIE! On Creating “Neo Tokyo”
For those who haven’t checked out the stunning new EP from creative production powerhouse/DJ MUST DIE! titled “Neo Tokyo” – you simply must. It’s a gloriously musical journey through Far Eastern flavors that keeps all the dubstep energy of his previous releases. We grabbed its producer for a few words on it.
* * *
OTB: “Neo Tokyo”, your latest release really takes bass music forward. What inspired you to start making it?
MD: “Well, if you ask anyone at Never Say Die or any of my close friends, they’ll let you know I’ve had this project on my mind for years. I wanted to pay homage to the music I actually listen to and admire, and with the Japan trip looming, it made perfect sense to do it now.”
OTB: Would you consider making an album in the same style?
MD: “Absolutely, albeit probably more musical and less heavy.
OTB: Is there anyone you would particularly like to work with at the moment?
MD: “Loads, haha! Snails, Valentino Khan, Jauz, Capsule, Blank Banshee, I’d love to do another song with CRNKN as well.”
OTB: Could you give us three tracks that have caught your eye right now?
1. Kill The Noise’s ENTIRE ALBUM.
2. Foxsky & Negitoro’s “Negi’s Theme” is a grade-A masterpiece.
3. Valentino Khan’s remix of Yellow Claw’s “Run Away” is fantastic.
OTB: Where can we catch you playing as summer begins to close out?
MD: “Well, I’m about to hit the road again with the Never Say Die crew, which will be fun as always, and like a metric ton of shows in general over the coming months. I’m always out there, so I’ll hopefully see you :)”
OTB: Has there been a standout show or crowd for you this year?
MD: “Paradiso’s crowd and energy was really spectacular.”
Latest posts by OTB (see all)
- Which Eyewear style should you rock at festivals? - July 22, 2016
- Your Story: From Pregames To Pretty Lights - June 22, 2016
- EDM Fans are the Most Social Music Fans - April 20, 2016
- Claire Guerreso & Deepend Create “I’m Just A Skipping Stone” - February 26, 2016
- Review: Jeudi Release First Instalment Of Remix Compilation Series - January 24, 2016