OTB Exclusive Day For Night Mix: Josh Dupont
We picked Josh Dupont as one of our top 5 sets to catch at Day for Night festival in Houston next weekend. The native Texan and local scene shaker joins us today to chat a bit about Houston and the ground-breaking weekend where “light and sound collide.” Check out the end of this interview for exclusive mix from Mr. Dupont himself.
Only The Beat: Tell me how you get involved in DJing and producing.
Josh Dupont: I got hooked at the first rave I attended in the ’90s. Felt like I was a part of the future then, and it still feels that way now.
OTB: What has it been like watching the scene in Houston grow and evolve?
JD: It’s been great. Houston has always had so much potential. I’m from Houston and I love this city. I’m so excited that this music has finally really started to take off and the rest of the world is seeing what we’ve always seen about Houston.
OTB: What are you most excited about seeing at Day For Night? What are you hoping to bring to the event?
JD: I am really excited to see the visual installations and and of course the music artists. Never thought I’d see John Carpenter live. Or Aphex Twin for, that matter.
OTB: Who are your favorite well-known electronic artists?
OTB: What spots in Houston do you recommend visitors see when coming for Day For Night?
JD: NASA is an obvious choice, but I think the Cistern in Buffalo Bayou is a really special place. An underground former drinking water reservoir built in 1926 and has the coolest echo chamber I’ve ever heard. I also recommend the Firmament light installation, which was featured at Burning Man and is at the Discovery Green Park for free.
OTB: What was most impressive with Day For Night last year? What do you think about the combination of different music types?
JD: I performed at Day for Night last year at the opening of the bands on the main stage, which meant I got to open of one of my favorite ’80s bands New Order! What an incredible night. It was such a different festival than what I was use to. Listening to music and wandering into these light installations. Mind blown. Can’t wait of this year!
OTB: What excites you about the underground scene in Houston and Texas overall? Any artists you’re watching?
JD: Texas and especially Houston has the potential, and the world is starting to see it. I’m so glad to be a part of the scene as each year we keep raising the bar. We have some big artists coming to town including Dubfire & Âme (Innervisions).
OTB: Thanks Josh!
Day For Night festival runs Friday, December 16 to Monday, December 19 at the Barbara Jordan Post Office in Houston. Get your tickets here.
And now we have that exclusive mix from Josh to get us in that Day For Night state of mind. It has also just been announced that Josh and James Reed will be playing as Kinda Super Disco at Secret Solstice Festival in Iceland next June – another great festival I’m looking forward to.
- Adriatique – Womb (Original Mix)
- Alex Niggeman – Materium (Original Mix)
- Bog – Medina (Paltac Remix)
- Marc Romboy – Hypernova (Stephan Bodzin Remix)
- Ruede Hagelstein – Soul Dynamic (Original Mix)
- Daniel Bortz & Sascha – If Not Tomorrow Maybe Someday (Original Mix)
- H.O.S.H. – Meloman (Original Mix)
- John Digweed & Nick Muir – Gridlock (Henry Saiz Remix)
- Audiofly feat. Georgia Lewis – In The (Last) Moment – (Robag’s Ponk Pramen NB Remix)
- Rufus – Innerbloom (H.O.S.H. Remix)
Connect with Josh Dupont
Latest posts by Dawn Runge (see all)
- Exclusive mix: Samuel “Surreal” Sorrels - January 24, 2017
- Industry Insider: Defected Records’s Adrienne Bookbinder - January 23, 2017
- LA’s Minimal Effort At Maximum Capacity NYE - January 14, 2017
- Get to Know: Tom Breu – Sound Nightclub’s Newest Resident - January 10, 2017
- All Day I Dream LA Sets Perfect Intentions for 2017 - January 9, 2017